Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday lunch and sweet treats

Our girls spent the weekend with their grandparents in Lynchburg this weekend.  We're still in a bit of an awkward place moving everything out of the old house but we were able to make a lot of progress without short people "helping".  I always miss them terribly when they're gone.  I wonder what in the world Jeff and I must have done to occupy our time without them around to entertain.

Jeff parents stayed for lunch today and we tried a new twist on one of our favorite comfort foods.  We like to make a meatloaf stuffed with Swiss Cheese and Mushrooms but have had a hard time getting the girls to eat it.  As with most things lately I have found if I change the way something normally looks the girls become much more interested in giving it a try.  If you have other creative ways to get occasionally picky eaters to try something new, please feel free to leave them in the comment section, I would love to hear them.


Mini Stuffed Meatloaf

1 1/2lbs Lean Beef
1 Egg
1/2 cup GF Bread Crumbs - I save the heals off of loaves of bread to make bread crumbs.
1/4tsp Kosher Salt
Deli Sliced Swiss Cheese
Sliced Mushrooms

Mix ingredients together well and separate into 10 equally sized meat balls.  Flatten them into patties.  On 5 of the patties layer 1/2 slice swiss cheese, 2-3 slices of mushroom, 1/2 slice swiss cheese.  Place the other 5 patties on top of the cheese and make sure the patties are closed around the side.  The meatloaves will resemble very fat burger patties.  Bake at 350 degrees in a 9x13 glass baking dish for 45 minutes.

We served with Butternut Squash cooked with butter and maple syrup and green beans we canned from my grandparents garden.  Overall I think it was a success - the kids ate it so that has to count for something.







We also had a fun time making marshmallows with the kids and the grandparents.  I love making sweet treats to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment