Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mmm, Mmm, Marshmallows

I love marshmallows.  There.  I said it.  I love everything about their ooey, gooey, sticky wonderfulness.  I have read so many posts about being "glutened" by marshmallows and specifically stating to look for gluten free marshmallows that I have avoided the treat.


The further we have gotten into this gluten free journey the more comfortable we have become with getting into the kitchen and coming up with a way to be able to eat what we want.  This evening while we were watching Breaking Bad, Jeff looked over at me and said "I think I'm going to go make marshmallows".  There are no logical arguments against this.



Here is the wonderful Gluten Free & Egg Free recipe we used:

Ingredients:
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 cups warm water, divided
2 cups white sugar

Directions:
1.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, stir together gelatin and 1/2 cup plus 2Tbs water.  Set aside to set up.

2.  In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and remaining 1/2 cup plus 2Tbs water, over medium heat.  Stir until    sugar reaches soft-ball stage.

3.  Combine gelatin and sugar water, and beat with electric mixer on low until foamy.  Increase to high speed and beat for 12 minutes.

4.  Pour into a 9x13 glass dish that has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar.  Allow marshmallows to come to room temp and them move them to the refrigerator for about an hour.

5.  Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar or cornstarch.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment