Sunday, June 21, 2015

Quickle

And it begins.

I have big plans for making enough pickles to feed a small nation this year.  Mostly because rationing the jars I made last year was an exercise in futility. I have never in my life been able to get a cucumber plant to do well so to get enough out of the first picking for a quart of quick pickles and a snack has me a lil' giddy.

I did some poking around on the internets for quick pickle recipes and I swear every single one of them called for sugar.  I hate a sweet pickle.  I don't want my pickles to even have looked at a grain of sugar.  Sooo, I decided to wing it and throw together a recipe of my own.  At this point I have zero idea how this is going to turn out so you'll have to check back to see if I ate them all or burned them with fire.

Dill Quickle:  To a quart jar add - 1tbs pickling salt, 1/2tsp dill seed, 1 clove of smashed garlic and then pack the jar with cucumber.  Fill the jar half way with white wine vinegar, fill the rest of the way with water.  Shake the jar up (with the lid on, come on now...) and then put it in the refrigerator and wait.  How long?  I don't know.  I'll let you know what I find out.


These little cuties are always up to something.  Today they were working on their very own Kitchen Small Engine Repair Shop.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment