We decided to have fun with our marshmallow recipe and doll it up for the holidays.
I crunched up 5 candy canes in the food processor and coated the bottom of a glass baking dish. I did not coat the candy canes or the bottom of the dish with powdered sugar and cornstarch but I should have. The marshmallows did stick a little more than I anticipated. These make a delicious holiday snack and an excellent addition to a nice cup of hot cocoa.
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 cups warm water, divided
2 cups white sugar
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer, stir together gelatin and 1/2 cup plus 2Tbs water. Set aside to set up.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and remaining 1/2 cup plus 2Tbs water, over medium heat. Stir until sugar reaches soft-ball stage.
3. Combine gelatin and sugar water, and beat with electric mixer on low until foamy. Increase to high speed and beat for 12 minutes.
4. Pour into a 9x13 glass dish that has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Allow marshmallows to come to room temp and them move them to the refrigerator for about an hour.
5. Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar or cornstarch.