Friday, November 4, 2011

Bread experiments and thankfulness day 4

"Jessie"
Today I am thankful for Jeff taking the day off and for my mom watching the kids.

Super Pipi
We were able to get Syd's birthday shopping completed and even got a little of the Christmas taken care of.  All in all a successful day.



I love buying Udi's bread and prepackaged mixes sure are helpful but the fact is we need to find an affordable way for this family to have bread.  And with two little peanut butter and jelly eating little girls we will be experimenting a lot more with bread from scratch.

Today's bread experiment comes to us courtesy of "You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free!" by Roben Ryberg.

Multigrain Loaf - Corn and Sorghum based

5 egg whites
2 tablespoons oil
3/4 cup Apple juice
2 cups cornstarch
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs xanthan gum
1 1/2 Tbs apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a medium sized loaf pan.

In a stand mixer beat the egg whites until very frothy.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Gently place the dough in the prepared loaf pan.  Smooth the top of the loaf with moistened fingertips.



Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden.  ~  We baked for 40 minutes.

I find this particular recipe to be a bit salty for my taste.  The texture is wonderful and very much like that of "real bread".  The true test will be at lunch tomorrow when it goes up against the most discriminating of palates... kids.
This loaf also came out lopsided...  My thought is that the oven must not be heating evenly.  I'm fairly certain I see a new one in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment