Saturday, November 5, 2011

They're awake ... and they want WAFFLES!

7:00am, like clockwork, even without an alarm, the Kitchenettes are up and ready for breakfast.  Last night before bed I had promised them waffles and lucky for me I woke up with an agreeable body.  The past two mornings have been much easier **knocking on every piece of wood in sight**.  Now I just need to figure out if I can tie the good mornings to something I am doing - or possibly not doing.


Waffles ~ Oat Based ~ 'You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free'

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1 tbs plus 1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
3/4 cup milk*
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon**


Preheat your waffle iron.
Place all the ingredients in a medium size bowl.  Mix very well.  The batter will become thicker and thicker with the xanthan gum.  Place 1/2 cup of batter into waffle iron.  Cook to your desired level of browning.  Allow to cool for a minute or so before serving; otherwise, these waffles will seem too moist.

* I used vanilla almond milk.
** The original recipe did not call for cinnamon but I always add cinnamon to my waffle and pancake batter.

This is our new waffle recipe.  Everyone loved them!
I read a very thoughtful tip recently - I can't place right now where I saw it - if you have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with Celiacs or another form of gluten sensitivity, consider giving them a package of your favorite waffle mix and a new waffle iron.  Waffle irons can be picked up fairly inexpensively and cross contamination from an old iron could lead to accidental glutening.

If you have a favorite pancake or waffle recipe please share!
As it seems more and more people are being diagnosed with some form of gluten intolerance, what are some other gift ideas to help someone begin their journey to a gluten free lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment