Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 11: Popcorn Balls

I LOVE POPCORN!  I really do.  This evening I decided to make popcorn balls and they turned out beautifully.  I was a little nervous because I decided to use my dutch oven to pop the corn.  I had never done this before, but it turned out so well I don't think I'll pop corn any other way again.  So easy.

Caramel Popcorn Balls

Ingredients:
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 cup unpopped popcorn
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Add 1 Tbs of the oil to a dutch oven, and heat over high heat.  When oil is hot, add 1/2 cup of popping corn.  Stir kernels to make sure they are coated with oil and place lid on dutch oven.  When corn stops popping remove from heat.  Place popped corn in the oven to keep warm.  Repeat until all corn has been popped.  Set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan with a candy thermometer inserted, combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup.  Stir well and bring to boiling over medium heat.  Stir in condensed milk;  simmer, stirring constantly, until thermometer reads 235 degrees F.  Stir in vanilla.
  3. Pour caramel over popped corn and stir to coat.  Butter hands lightly; shape popcorn into balls about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment